the informal ramblings of a formal language researcher

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

mailman, postfix, and pain

Was up late last night trying to set up a mailman-based mailing list to demonstrate such things to my cousin.

I made much use of this page to figure out how to get the whole thing going. But when I went to bed, the damn thing still wasn't working.

Eventually I figured out that I never actually started the mailman daemon that is in charge of processing information as it comes in. I just figured that apache and postfix would know that they needed to call out to these command line procedures when they got certain inputs (e.g. mail to a particular address). Silly me.

So I was dumped into the sewer of systems administration once again. But I've pulled myself out now; I'm so happy I'm a PL researcher.

No comments:

Followers