the informal ramblings of a formal language researcher

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

bonus (dfw) !

And as an added bonus, here is pretty good commencement speech by David Foster Wallace. Its no "Wear Sunscreen", in that I don't see it being put to music and put on VH1 anytime soon, but its probably bettter than "No Sex in the Champagne Room."

David Foster Wallace, in case you didn't know, is the author of Infinite Jest, a book which I'm still not sure whether was worth finishing (other than to be able to say at dinner, "I finished Infinite Jest.", which is a great test of the people you're talking to, because the right response to this statement really is "Why?").

He has other books as well ("Interviews with hideous men") but those didn't grab me (and drop me) in the same way that Infinite Jest did.

1 comment:

Dave Herman said...

That was fascinating.

Followers